registering birth if you got married abroad

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

babywestie Posts: 50
God, I am really thick! You'd know I'm on the final stretch now as keep asking stupid questions!!!:) Just wondering did anyone have any problems registering the birth after baby was born if you got married abroad. We got married in Rome and although the marriage cert is in italian, it has various translations on the back for each section. I don't think there is a need to get it translated but if anyone has had similar experiences I'd really appreciate knowing about it! :thnk
ttc_bfp_opk_wtf Posts: 682
I asked the same question a while back and about 1/2 the people who replied had no problem and about half did even with the bits and bobs translated on the back they then needed to go and get an official complete translation done. I've just gotten mine done and I'm leaving it together with the other info they need and DH will take care of registering the birth. I don't want to risk any hold up's as I want to get baby's passport asap and will need the birth cert for that.
BusyDee Posts: 8527
Why does it matter where you got married?? Sure what about those that arent married or am I missing something?? We got married in Malta so our marriage cert is in english anyway - is it just the fact that yours is in different languages thats causing the problem?
yes it's the languages that is the problem.
Daff Posts: 11644
if you got married abroad you do nee dto bring extra things with you - call the dept and they'll help. They're so so helpful! There were signs up all around the office when we were there but can't rembmer what they said, sorry.
The only extra is the translation. Details [quote="hse":2omiehjb]Parent(s) must now attend in person to register their birth within three months of the date of birth (Civil Registration Act, 2004). Sometimes parent(s) cannot attend, for example due to ill-health, and if this is the case please contact the Civil Registration Service for advice. At the registration the childs and parent(s) details are recorded and verified. There is no charge to register a birth but there is a fee to purchase Birth Certificates. * Parent(s) must bring photo identification (e.g. a passport or driving licence) and Personal Public Security Number(s) (PPSN) when attending to register their child. * In some cases, for example where a mother has been married previously, additional material may be required and parent(s) are advised to contact the Civil Registration Service to find out more. * If parent(s) are married in a civilly recognised marriage only one parent need attend, however if both wish to sign the Register they should both attend. If the marrriage took place in this jurisdiction this will be verified for them by the Registrar. If parent(s) married in another jurisdiction they should bring the original marriage certificate and a translation if required. * A birth may be registered in any of the Civil Registration offices in the state. You will find a list of our offices, including their opening hours, here. When a birth is registered within the three month time period, the details are sent by computer to the Child Benefit Section of the Department of Social Protection and the child benefit is processed automatically. If it is your first child a partially completed application will be posted to you, where is it a second or additional child then the child benefit will be added to the existing child benefit payment. After 12 months if a birth has not been registered it is still possible to do so, however, there is a procedure to be followed requiring the approval of the Superintendent Registrar of the area. Contact one of our offices to find out more. The registrar of births attends at some of the major maternity hospitals (not applicable in the Dublin region) and it is possible for parents in those areas to register their baby before leaving hospital. To find out if this applies in your case conated your local office.[/quote:2omiehjb]
BusyDee Posts: 8527
Ok thanks!
theoracle Posts: 7664
We got married in Italy and had one of those certs with translation on the back and that was absolutely fine, had no issue whatsoever and did not need a separate translation on either occassion as we registered our dds in different registration offices.
babywestie Posts: 50
thanks for all the info! I am going to chance it and if they complain we will get it translated then!!!
That's the best option if you're not in a hurry to get the birth cert. The only reason I got the translation was that I hope to take baby on holidays at 8 weeks and the passport office is not the most efficient service in the world :-)