Smoked Salmon & Philidelphia

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Momof2 Posts: 3884
Have things changed so much in 4 yrs when I was pregnant before pretty sure you couldn't have both of these but in the last yr I've read in several places that they're fine. I got no leaflets at my booking in this time maybe because its a second pregnancy and the only comprehensive food site seems to be the NHS one cant find an Irish listing. Do you eat both of these and if so is it by your own choice or because you were told they were safe.. I would love a nice starter for Christmas (always have prawns :o( ) so to be able to have some smoked salmon would appeal more than soup :o0
bolababy Posts: 706
I eat these (love it) never reallyquestioned it. But as far as I know, philadelphia is safe cos its pasteurised.
dhidra Posts: 3147
Philadelphia is fine. I think you're supposed to avoid smoked salmon cos it's not cooked.
Ladybirds Posts: 445
Really? No smoked salmon? :weep I'm only getting my appetite back in the last few days and I'm really looking forward to my works Xmas night out next weekend and of course stuffing myself over Xmas in general. Main course and dessert choices are fine for the Xmas party are fine but I'm dodgy about the starters. I know soft cheeses are out but what about goats cheese? And is all seafood a no no?
Giant Underpants Posts: 953
http://www.eatwell.gov.uk/asksam/agesan ... y/#A219904 [i:vn2a26ws]Some countries advise pregnant women not to eat cold meats or smoked fish because of the risk of listeria. In the UK, we don't advise women to avoid these products because the risk is very low. The risk of listeria is much higher with cheeses such as Camembert, Brie or chevre (a type of goats' cheese), and others that have a similar rind, or pâté, which you shouldn't eat during pregnancy. However, if you are concerned, you might also choose to avoid cold meats and smoked fish while you are pregnant.[/i:vn2a26ws]
poppylops Posts: 1363
I had an antenatal class during the week and the midwife was talking about nutrition and said its safe to eat smoked salmon as technically smoking is cooking.
Thanks for the answers girls... I'm as confused as ever :o0 As I said to one of the other girls I think we should stick to bread and water sometimes.Now if anyone has heard that prawns are fine I'd be in heaven lol. Will ring hospital Monday just to be sure
spanish mum Posts: 2468
you should come to spain audreys. because they are caught fresh here, we're not advised against them. the spanish have their big meal on 24th night, and it is all fish, shell fish etc. year before last i was 7 months pregnant and was eating the hugest langostinos you could imagine! devine!
spanish mum stop... i'll be on a plane.. Gino on this morning made me laugh he was on to Holly saying in italy we eat prawns and parmasan etc.. suppose better to be safe//
mamabelle Posts: 1101
Prawns are supposed to be ok as long as they are fresh, well cooked and from a reputable supplier. Having said that I got food poisoning from ones bought in one of the "posher" supermarkets last pregnancy so it's a bit of a gamble unless you're catching and cooking them yourself! I'm gonna have smoked salmon on xmas day. I don't think the uk or midwives would be okaying it unless they were confident.