Swine flu and pregnancy - article in Irish Times

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Toblerone Posts: 2698
Hi all, there is long article in Irish Times Health Supplement today looking at H1N1 flu and pregnancy. Might be of interest.
cuisle Posts: 93
Thanks for that Toblerone, bit scary but it is best to be aware of things.
Winter B2B Posts: 3494
Would this encourage you to get swine flu vacination?
babs76 Posts: 1000
Thats very interesting - it's so hard to know what to do. I was all against taking the vaccine due to the fact it has never been tested on pregnant women and therefore you have absolutely no idea what affect it will have on either you or the baby and when i mentioned this to my doc yesterday (someone who's opinion i value) she said that she would advise pregnant women to get the vaccine so I'm not sure what to do It's scary
Nadie Posts: 1111
Good article, thanks Toblerone. I have to say reading that has encouraged me to get the vaccine, especially the part that said it's very similar to the flu vaccine which has been given to pregnant women for decades. It's a really tough call though and I wish I didn't have to decide!
goodie09 Posts: 192
I am totally confused re vaccine...I had an appointment with my consultant this morning and asked her again about the vaccine. She said that they had received nothing to say that women should take it and advised against it for the present. She said she would update her patients if this changed. She also said that she believed it wouldn't be available till Christmas in any case.
Well goodie09 that'll take the decision out of our hands. I almost prefer it that way...
Isy Posts: 89
Hi Girls. I won't be taking the vacine if offered it, I'd only take it if I get the swine flu. I wish the HSE would take the same precautions as USA where they are giving pregnant woman the drug without mercury.......
Isy, I think the vaccine can only work to prevent swine flu, it can't treat it once you've caught it. That's why the whole thing is a bit of a gamble - wait til you get it or make sure you don't....
Daff Posts: 11644
I'll be in my third trimester when the vaccince is available, and i think at that stage I'd not tkae the vaccine, but if I did get Swine Flu I'd be more willing to take Relenza (which I wouldn't at this stage of the pregnancy). This article helped me to decide that at least! I would be very nervous about getting the vaccine that hasn't been tested fully, and also poses a risk of autism.