Tips - Wedding Dress Shopping??

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

leogave Posts: 66
Hey girls! Am in the process of putting together a list of bridal boutiques in Dublin, Louth and Westmeath. Hoping to book appointments in mid-August to early-September (getting married July 2012). Would love to hear any tips from woollies that have gone shopping already....I'm really nervous - I'm the first in the family so would love any tips - i.e. how many appointments should I book in one day? underwear to wear!? do the staff generally know what style would suit me!? Thanks so much from a nervous but really excited bride-to-be x
AwkwardAnnie Posts: 2191
[quote="leogave":2riptpez]Hey girls! Am in the process of putting together a list of bridal boutiques in Dublin, Louth and Westmeath. Hoping to book appointments in mid-August to early-September (getting married July 2012). Would love to hear any tips from woollies that have gone shopping already....I'm really nervous - I'm the first in the family so would love any tips - i.e. how many appointments should I book in one day? underwear to wear!? do the staff generally know what style would suit me!? Thanks so much from a nervous but really excited bride-to-be x[/quote:2riptpez] +1 I'd really like to know this too.
heidibridie12 Posts: 44
Hi Leogave, Congrats on your first trip for a wedding dress!!! It is such an exciting day! I would recommend Tamem Michael in Ballymount, their dresses are beautiful and the girls that work there are so lovely. I went there for my first try on and it was such a lovely experience. Siobhan was great - helpful when I needed her, backed off when I was discussing with 'the panel' (mum & sister). DeStafford is good too - huge selection and good service, although they book the slots for an hour each which can feel a little quick. Most places will tell you to have a look first, pick out a few dresses and then they will advise you as you go. They will help you try a variety if you have just picked out all the same styles. Or if you've left out a cateegory or something. They will also pick out a few that they think might suit you. I wouldn't book too many for one day - you will get really tired and confused! Definitely bring someone with you. My mum came to my 3 places and sketched each dress, that helped so much! It's a bit of a cliche, but when you try on 'the one' you'll know it! Enjoy it all - it's such a lovely time! HB x
Thanks so much for the advice HB, brilliant tip about sketching the dresses - would NEVER have thought of that! My mum and two sisters will be coming with me so will def get one of them to draw a rough sketch of each dress so we will remember them!! x
RainbowNinja Posts: 4437
My number one tip would be go with an open mind and try on every style to see what suits! Definitely bring someone with you that will tell you honestly as I found in 1 shop, the sales assistant told me I was fab in every dress I tried on, and I wasn't! I booked 3 appointments in one day when went looking. The first shop I tried on about 30 dresses! Your one was like " we only have an hour" but got them on and off quickly and just worked out what style suited me. Picked out a dress I loved in that shop but didn't want to buy it straight away as had two more appointments to go to. The 3rd shop the first dress I tried on, I fell in love with it! And ended up buying it I didn't really think what sort of underwear you wear mattered. The bra was off every time, but wear nice knickers as you'll be standing in them with just the sales assistant a lot! ETA and enjoy the experience! I'd love to be doing it again! Definitely my favourite plan of wedding planning!
anya Posts: 187
I would recommend Drogheda for dress shopping. Frilly Frocks, Ophelia Bridal and Bridal Studio. I visited these 3 and found all really good. Staff very helpful. With a good selection.
queen30 Posts: 1551
i did three in a day too...any more than that and i think they tend to blend in to one. wear nude underwear, and strapless bra, not a thong as that can be embarrassing if the woman has to pin you in to the dress. bring tissues and a bottle of water as it can be so sweaty and hot in the dress shops especially with the weight of the dresses. try on lots of shapes as well - i ended up going for soemthing a million miles from what i would have thought. have fun!
Girls, thanks so much for the advice....all your tips are so helpful - I really appreciate your help. x
Mrs Spud Posts: 418
:wv Hi Leogave, In addition to what others said, I would: *) bring a pair of heels with you so you can get an idea of what it will look like with high shoes *) wear a dress so that you can just whip it off then on again easily - no fiddling with jeans, tops etc; *) wear dark tights so that you're not flashing your bum at the assistant while she pins you into the dress *) try on stuff they recommend aswell as what you like - you'll be amazed what will look good/not so good on you *) only book a maximum of 3 appointments per day because its quite tiring and if you have too much to think about at the end of the day you might forget something *) enjoy every minute of it HTH :thnk
Brum Posts: 52
Hi, I got my dress in The White Room in Mullingar. I bought the second dress I tried but the lady in the shop got me to try on a load of different styles that she thought would suit me and that really helped to confirm my decision. They also have a sample sale upstairs if you are on a budget. I wasnt on too tight a budget but ended up getting a fabulous sample dress and they are taking care of everything for me, dry cleaning, fittings etc. They also didn't rush me at all and once the wedding dress bit was done my bridesmaids got to try on different bridesmaids dresses in their bridesmaids room and I ended up getting them the same day too. I have been told that their selection has gotten better since they moved to their new premises. They are worth a look at least if you are looking around Westmeath:)