Menu

Support for Mothers and Fathers who have children with Special needs

Go to Children with Special Needs

hagfromhell
Woloholic

Postby hagfromhell » Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:38 am

Last edited by hagfromhell on Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

she
Empress Wolly

Postby she » Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:34 pm

Sorry to hear this, I don't know anything about it but maybe if you do a bit of research for her. Look up some sites, find out if there's any support groups and get some leaflets.
I'm sure they'll be trilled cause their probably still trying to get their head around it and they probably haven't thought about doing any research yet.......good luck :wv
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[/url]

amb007
New Wolly

Postby amb007 » Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:25 pm

Hi, im so sorry to hear that. I have a son that has optic nerve hypoplasia,( optic nerves never developed fully). I was 19 when i had my son,so i know what a shock it is to have a child with special needs, when your so young. He is 7 and a half now, and is in mainstream school. He started learning braille last year, and loves it.I can't say it is easy, you get your moments when u feel down. Esp now, at school all the parents are talking about their kids playing football, basketball etc.But i try and stay positive and focus on what he is good at and enjoys.I also have a 20 mth old boy who is fine and another baby on the way.I wish your sister all the best. If you want to ask me anything else, im here for you.

hagfromhell
Woloholic

Postby hagfromhell » Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:09 am

Hi girls thank you for taking the time to reply to me. amb007 it is great to hear from someone else in much the same position, and when you say "mainstream school" I take it he has a special teacher to help him? Sorry for my ignorance in these things as we havn't a clue to be honest. We had been told he would have to go to a special school especially for the blind (in Dublin I think) and the thought of sending him off every sunday evening and not back until Friday was awful. Sis has a lady coming on Thursday I think from NCBI she is meant to be bringing special toys of some sort for him. Is there anything else they could / should be doing? They have an appt in a few wks to see if one of them carry a gene if they decide to have another child. They are kind of in denial I think about the whole thing - it seems he has (very) limited sight but (and I suppose I would be the same) they reckon he will improve as he gets older. How does your little lad get on at school? It is great to hear from someone so thanks again

amb007
New Wolly

Postby amb007 » Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:11 pm

Hi momec 2008, He is in normal school, but has a special need assistance(sna) and goes to a resource teacher twice a day. He has come on leaps and bounds.Sorry for asking this but is it only his sight that is affected r does he have other problems?If it is only his sight, he can go to mainstream school. And this is something that i would def advice your sis to do. Try and treat him like you would treat any other child.My son is 7 and a half, and he thinks he is like any other boy in his class. He knows his sight isn't as good as others, but he doesn't see it as a problem for him.You should tell your sis to ask the ncbi to put her in touch with other parents.Hearing other peoples stories really helps. Feach is another support group set up by parents of blind/visually impaired kids.They are so nice and really helpful. The have a website www.feach.net. They are based in dublin but set up meetings around the country aswell.On the 23rd of september this year, there is a prof Gordon Dutton consultant opthalmologist coming to the clarion hotel, liffey valley. He deals with blind/ visually impaired children in scotland. I really think you, your sis and family should go to this. It is free. I went to one of his talks before and he is fantastic.You Need to contact feach as they need to confirm numbers going. I have two moblie numbers 0863640233 r 0871356084. There is no harm in giving them a ring for a chat. let me know how you get on.

Go to Children with Special Needs