what do you put into lasagne, bolognese to bulk them up?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

excitedfor2010 Posts: 336
To cut back I am going to start making lasagne, bolognese etc and freeze them, I use mince steak, carrots, onions and kidney beans. I was looking in tesco last night and most of the tins of those sort of beans are around a euro each which I thought was quite expensive. Are there any cheaper alternatives to put in? I need something that will freeze well O-O
LuckyYear2013 Posts: 3972
peppers? peas... any kind of veg that you eat?
SunnyK Posts: 3834
I've no idea about freezing well but I'd add mushrooms and peppers to my Bolognase to bulk it up - God I'm sarving thinking about a big chunk of Lasagne right now :o0
nelswife Posts: 3869
My mam puts carrots, mushrooms, onions, tin tomatoes in her lasagne!
lux Posts: 6270
Grated carrot, you get an extra veg in and very healthy. You could also use courgettes. I usually have peppers in as well, if I'm making what I call a "recession dinner" its whatever I have in the veg drawer, like green beans etc!
Jane Smith Posts: 3158
Courgettes are great! I would also use peppers (red & green) and mushrooms but I find mushrooms don't freeze that well (maybe that's just me!!). I don't like carrots or peas in lasagne or bolognese. I always use chunky tinned tomatoes as oppose to Dolmio jars.
ciaraella Posts: 5323
you could try buying the dried peas, beans, lentils etc and soaking them overnight, i'd say they work out cheaper than the tins.
excitedfor2010 Posts: 336
thats a great idea with the lentils, have lots of packs of them in the house and never use them, will stick a few in, im sure they can still be frozen? yeah my mouth is watering too, thank God lunch time is coming up
tilsun Posts: 4506
Excitedfor2010 sometimes Lidl can be cheaper for those tins. They may not have the peel back lids so check that you still own a tin-opener. I avoid the jars of sauce and use lots of tomatoes and tinned tomatoes to bulk up.
reine Posts: 1771
[quote="Jane Smith":34ekk1tf]Courgettes are great! I would also use peppers (red & green) and mushrooms but I find mushrooms don't freeze that well (maybe that's just me!!). I don't like carrots or peas in lasagne or bolognese. I always use chunky tinned tomatoes as oppose to Dolmio jars.[/quote:34ekk1tf] Same here. Don't like carrots etc in lasagne and wouldn't touch a jar of sauce! I also use tinned tomatoes, tomato puree, garlic, basil, red wine if I have a bottle at home, grating of nutmeg. Love veg, but don't think it goes too well in a lasagne.