What size bag to use as hospital bag?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

MissSindyhead Posts: 560
Hi all, Just realized I need to get packing. I've a medium sized wheelie case but it's filling up fast. Just wondering what other people are using? Thanks, J
MRS NYEB2007 Posts: 3275
thats the size I have packed and also a little labour bag, my case is jammers - I tried everything to reduce it but once you put in the nappies, cotton wool, towels, maternity pads sheets and blankets its full - actually don't think I even have enough babygros in - have 6 and 6 vests
dancerformoney Posts: 2733
i have a small labour bag with just pjs, pad knicks for after. and babys first outfit. and then some bits and pieces to keep us occupied!! like ipod, phones, magazine, kindle. my hosp bag is a wheelie case i use for ryanair flights. its not too big but has an expander that is adequate. its full now with mostly baby stuff!! 9 babygros, 9 vests, 2 hats, 2 cardis,24 nappies,1 towel, 1face/1bum cloths for me is pjs, knickers, flip flops (shower), and then will have dressing gown from labour bag. and towel for me. i then have a hard case, very small vanity bag really that has all our toiletries. i got a pkt of airplane toiletries containers and have filled them already, 2pkts pads, breast pads, cotton wool, vaseline, im sure there is stuff im forgetting to mention! its tight but im not hauling a large suitcase into hospital. we live about 5-10mins from hospital and i have parking permit cause i work there so hubby can go home to collect anything im missing! oh and im leaving a small bag (might even be a sainsburys bag!) in the car seat for mine and babys going home clothes! dont need to haul all that gear into hosp too! so to answer your question (eventually!) im using a small suitcase and vanity case as hosp bags.
Delphinium Posts: 3027
I found it impossible to pack a smaller labour bag! The hospital list just had too much on it for that 1st 24hrs so I have a hospital bag and a smaller top up bag for DH to bring me on day 2. My main bag is a holdall/soft wheelie bag that I use as Ryanair handluggage. In that I have 2 labour nightshirts, light dressing gown, slippers, toilet bag, some snacks and bottle of water and pack of maternity pads. I've clean undies, pj's and maternity pad and breast pads rolled into big black towel ready to grab for my shower after delivery. For baby I have first babygro, vest, nappy and hat folded into a ziploc freezer bag for DH to hand to midwife. I also have baby towel, blanket, bib, muslin, spare vests and babygros and a days supply of nappies and cotton wool. And plastic bags to send dirty clothes home with DH! Day 2 Top up bag (changing bag) contains 3 more clean pj's/nighties for me, another pack pads, clean underwear, 4 or 5 more each of babygros and vests and more nappies, bibs and muslins. I intend to be sending home laundry, gifts etc with DH and my Mum each day and they can bring in anything else I need. Space can be very limited in hospital and it reduces what you have to bring home on the day you are discharged.
It's great to hear what people are doing. I was going to put all my stuff in the wheelie bag (towels, pajamas, maternity and breast pads, toiletries, flip-flops, dressing gown etc) and baby stuff in a changing bag (probably not big enough now that I think of it) and then I thought I might have a small labour bag. Hmmm. Getting confused now! Just wondering, what's the cotton wool for? :-8
MRS NYEB2007 Posts: 3275
Cotton Wool - this is for changing babs nappies - hospitals don't allow you to use wipes as baby is very sensitive. Also would be used for cleaning the cord
buttercupbabe Posts: 1224
Im using my gym bag as labour bag & then have a smaller bag for next day
justwed09 Posts: 2349
i brought in a small gym bag for labour ward with clena nightie, cotton wool, dish for changing nappy for the water clothes for baby and magazines. in main suitcase i had everything else but was told to bring it home if it didnt fit in my locker in case i fell over it as space was very tight. i sent home 1 towel with dh and my dressing gown, too hot for dressing gown in there. the day i went home, the next day, i just wore home what i wore going in. this time i know not what to bring in that i didnt use.
sept2012bride Posts: 218
I had a bag for me and a bag for baby. Used a med wheelie hold all I got in dunnes for myself with all of my essentials and a baby bag for babs. it was easier to find things that way.
[quote="MRS NYEB2007":3orgbdwa]Cotton Wool - this is for changing babs nappies - hospitals don't allow you to use wipes as baby is very sensitive. Also would be used for cleaning the cord[/quote:3orgbdwa] Oh right. Dunno how I overlooked that one. Regular cotton wool or would those oval pads do? Actually, on the subject I possibly need to look again at a list of what I need to bring to hospital! I know there are a few posts on WOL on this but can anyone recommend a good one so I don't have to trawl through lots of them? Thanks, J