Which hospital?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Starrysky Posts: 30
Hi everyone, we're only at the Ttc stage so I may be in the wrong place but maybe some of you can help. I have a beautiful little girl. I attended an MLU where I laboured for 2 days. The labour was horrendous and she was born in the clu after hours and hours of no pain relief. The care afterwards was just ok but there was practically no help with bfeeding and I felt like I was left to my own devices. I don't really want to name the hospital. Im a bit apprehensive about no 2 even though I'm not even pregnant as my first labour and delivery was so traumatic. My choices now are a Dublin hospital or Mullingar. Mullingar would be really convenient. Also then there's the private v public conundrum? Id love to hear of your experiences, Thanks in advance x
mimiblossom Posts: 589
I think it's great to do your research early. As soon as you get your BFP you have to book in so there is no time then to research. I have been to Holles Street twice now. I went semi private. Next time I will be going public and saving the money. I have to choose between the Coombe and HS so i am also interested in hearing other peoples thoughts. I will be having a third section. I have a few friends that went to Mullingar and they were extremely happy.
Starrysky Posts: 30
I think you're right mimiblossom by the time you're pregnant it's really too late to start looking for a hospital! I was really considering going semi private in holles street if we're lucky enough to conceive. Can I ask why you're thinking of the coombe if you've been to holles St twice already? Thanks for your reply x
Sonas 2013 Posts: 57
I had DD in the Coombe two years ago and will be having this baby there too. I could not fault the care I received. They are very busy but never once did I feel the care I was receiving was not up to scratch. I was a public patient. There were 6 of us in the ward. Provided I didn't get much sleep, as even when my baby was asleep, other babies were crying, but I did enjoy the company of the other ladies - It was never too manic there either with visitors - there is a strict 2 visitor policy per patient at any one time. I could have afforded Private or Semi-Private, but I'd prefer to spend the money on the baby once it's here. I was never waiting too long to be seen. Good Luck with your decision and TTC'ing.
NervousNellie Posts: 80
Ha ha my first time on here in ages,so busy with my little one!can't compare hospitals as have only had one baby and never went private but feel like throwing my review in.had DD in coombe as a public patient.whole experience was great,attended a satellite clinic,under doctor led care (had issues that prevented midwife led).care during pregnancy was very thorough and during birth midwives gave me every chance to follow birth plan but when things got complicated,they helped me through without pain relief (as time had passed to get it) and a complicated birth was dealt with so well.follow up care after was excellent,check ups etc.but especially the personal care,the understanding of the trauma I'd suffered and happy to address any worries I had and explain what had happened and why.not that it matters now that DD 17wks and smiling away at me!! Also decided to go public despite having insurance that would have contributed.Completely happy with that decision,got all the care and needed and more.was in a room with several private patients who couldn't get room due to renovations and an unusually busy July!and loved the company of the girls,even made a friend I'm still in contact with.plus DD came home used to noise which was no harm!!(we were in for 5 nights)
Thank you so much everyone for your replies. It's so good to hear about other peoples experiences and thoughts. Well I got my BFP!!! A little sooner than I thought but we are very happy. I am only 6 weeks so its still very early days. I sent off my form only the other day so I havent heard back from the hospital about first appointment. I decided to go public in the Coombe. And I requested a particular doctor whose name came up a bit in my research. Remains to be seen whether I will actually be under her care or not. Starrysky, I have no major complaints with Holles Street. And I was happy enough with my care the first two times. That being said, I have a very set birth plan in mind this time and from the research I have done it seems as if I will have a better chance of achieving this with the Coombe.
Congratulations on your BFP!!!! That's fab news. We may even bump into each other in the Coombe :o0
[quote="Sonas 2013":3rywyeob]Congratulations on your BFP!!!! That's fab news. We may even bump into each other in the Coombe :o0[/quote:3rywyeob] Thanks Sonas!!! We may do :wv Have you got your booking appointment yet? I know I am being impatient but I haven't heard from the hospital yet and Im wondering how long it takes for them to write back to you?? In Holles Street you were able to ring and book over the phone.
No, haven't received booking appointment yet. I posted off the form last Tuesday. I'm hoping to hear something today. I won't relax until I've seen/heard the heartbeat. The nausea and tiredness is gone. I've only slightly sore boobs. I think I remember not feeling pregnant about this point of my pregnancy with DD. I think my booking appointment on DD was about 10 weeks gestation. That means I've 2 more weeks of worry, Gah! My GP did say in the meantime I could visit him and he'd pick up the heartbeat with a doppler. I remember hearing back from them very quickly last time. Literally 2 or 3 days after I posted the form, I got an appointment date.
Are GP visits covered when you go public? I didnt think of going to the GP to check heartbeat. I am still considering an early scan just to ease my mind.