Winter Baby will you heat bottles?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

ozzy08 Posts: 272
Hi, im due in december and wondering does everyone heat the baby bottles? I know some friends were saying that if you start heating them thats it and it can be awkward looking to get bottle heated when we are out etc.. but just thinking of those freezing nights in December when a warm bottle would be nice.
MrsBuck Posts: 846
I've been thinking about this too, I plan to BF hopefully but if that doesn't work out for some reason then i probably would heat the bottles. I wouldn;t drink cold milk at 3am myself so i'd shiver at the thought of giving it to a baby!!
Delphinium Posts: 3027
They shouldn't be freezing cold if you are making up the bottles as you need them. You will be using cooled down boiled water so they should be at room temperature. You might want to warm them to room temperature if you are keeping them in the fridge beforehand, e.g. if you have expressed or made the bottle in advance. Personally I wouldn't get the baby used to expecting a warm bottle.
sherbetlemon Posts: 927
I didn't on dd (who was a winter baby) & won't be on this baby either. It's definately a bad habit that the baby gets used to. Make life as easy as possible for yourself the first few months as you will be exhausted. If the water was in the fridge a while and was really cold you could pop it in a cup of hot water for a few seconds to take the chill out of it. My niece, who is one, only will drink warm bottles & it's such a pain in the as$ when you are out anywhere with her.
MrsBuck Posts: 846
Ok didn't think of this - i always just assumed it was the norm! Roll on the antenatal classes i guess :-8
BusyDee Posts: 8527
The bottles you get in the hospital are all at room temperature! I wont be heating them either, as another poster said the milk shouldnt be freezing, if you have some made in advance and kept in the fridge as soon as you finish one bottle take one out to warm to room temp. Our house is very warm with the heat on anyway so the temp of the milk should be very comfortable for a baby!
Bunnybaby Posts: 2701
i think i will be heating them a little i cant imagine drinking a cold cup of tea so would like to think a warmish bottle would be more satisfying than a cold one..
Delphinium Posts: 3027
[quote="Bunnybaby":28y0l60e]i think i will be heating them a little i cant imagine drinking a cold cup of tea so would like to think a warmish bottle would be more satisfying than a cold one..[/quote:28y0l60e] Baby would tell you quick enough if it wasn't! They just won't take the bottle for you. Simple as. Room temperature is not the same as cold. Seriously.... you will have enough to cope with without having to heat bottles in the middle of the night, when you are out and about. If Baby gets used to it he/she will expect it and will reject the room temp bottle when you decide you've had enough of warming up!
ciaraella Posts: 5323
I hope to bf but if i end up using bottles (formula or expressed) i won't be heating them. It will make it so much easier in the middle of the night when baby is screaming for a feed!
Marpat Posts: 1784
i used to always take a bottle out after the previous feed so if they are feeding every 3-4 hours intitially, by the time they need they next one, the real coldness will be gone out of it. on first baby i had a bottle warmer. In fact I had every gimic going and I didn't every bother with it last time. It came with a little cool box and I used to bring two up stairs with me every night in the little cool box and take one out well in advance of a feed but didn't get into the warming.